The Art of the Essay
The Art of the Essay is an advanced essay course for experienced writers who are ready for AP or college-level work.
Before taking this class, students should possess the following:
- Interest in writing as a craft
- Comfort and fluency with grammar, punctuation and style conventions
- Mastery of standard paragraph and essay organization forms
- Capacity to analyze literary language
- Strong vocabulary and comprehension skills
- Ability to accept and offer critique
- Maturity to handle complex discussions of issues including race, gender, and political differences
- Knowledge of appropriate citation methods and style
- Demonstrated success in writing academic essays
Writers continue to develop fundamental skills throughout their lives. The expectation for this class is that students will have mastered them sufficiently to work comfortably and experiment with them at an advanced level.
During this class, students will learn to:
- Establish authority as a writer
- Identify and target an audience
- Overcome wordiness
- Understand the differences in tone, perspective, and style in multiple nonfiction genres
- Analyze narrative technique, persuasive technique, and stylistic choices in essays
- Use revision as a process for deeper reflection and new insights
For more information, please see the full course description.