Essay Essentials introduces teens 12+ to academic essay writing.
Before taking this class, students should be able to:
- Construct grammatically correct sentences
- Use punctuation correctly when writing
- Comfortably write a paragraph that focuses on a single idea
- Follow written directions consistently
- Read nonfiction carefully
- Accept criticism and advice on writing
- Give constructive critique to others when clear criteria are set
Many of the above skills are practiced in the discussion forums provided in G3 courses. We strongly recommend that students participate fully in these G3 class forums prior to enrolling in Essay Essentials.
During this class, students will learn to:
- Read essays both for content and for structure
- Create a strong thesis statement
- Organize essays in logical order
- Craft essays that describe, define, explain, narrate, analyze, synthesize, compare and contrast, argue and persuade
- Write introductions that draw a reader in and present a thesis
- Write effective conclusions that do more than summarize an argument
- Write with a formal, academic voice
- Revise thoroughly
For more information, please see the full course description.