8th grade Lightning Literature from Hewitt Homeschooling, adapted to fit the needs of modern gifted learners. This is a year-long course condensed into a single semester. Weekly webinars are 50 minutes long. Recordings are available for students who miss a session.
- author’s purpose
- character development
- figurative language
Learning activities include regular writing to communicate ideas via the discussion forum, videos and multimedia materials to support learning, use of web 2.0 tools to illustrate new concepts, and weekly participation in live webinars.
◦ Lightning Lit 8 Student Guide by Elizabeth Kamath*
◦ Stories and Poems for Extremely Intelligent Children of All Ages by Harold Bloom
◦ A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
◦ The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
◦ A Day of Pleasure by Isaac B. Singer
◦ My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell
*Although To Kill A Mockingbird is listed in the student guide, it is not included in this course due to time constraints.