Lightning Literature: Early-Mid 19th Century British Literature from Hewitt Homeschooling, adapted to fit the needs of modern gifted learners. This is semester-long high school course. Weekly webinars are 50 minutes long. Recordings are available for students who must miss a session.
- Poetic Language
- Point of View
Learning activities include regular writing to communicate ideas via the discussion forum, videos and multimedia materials to support learning, use of web 2.0 tools to illustrate new concepts, and weekly participation in live webinars.
- Lightning Lit Early-Mid 19th Century British Literature Student Guide by Michael Gaunt
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
- Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott
- Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
- Excerpts from Beowulf and The Canterbury Tales (provided online)
All original text versions of these novels are acceptable, including graphic novels and comics that include unabridged text. These may be available at your local library, or can be purchased from our resources page.