With a focus on primary source analysis, critical thinking, and interactive web tools, students will explore the story of America from the Civil War to the divisive class, race, gender and economic struggles of the developing United States at the advent of the 20th century.
This course covers:
- The Civil War
- Migration West
- Industrialization and Immigration
- Economic imbalances of the late 19th C.
- Rise of labor movements
Weekly webinars are 50 minutes long. Recordings are available for students who must miss a session.
Links to Required Books:
A History of US, Volumes 6, 7 and 8 by Joy Hakim
- War, Terrible War, 1855-1865
- Reconstructing America, 1865-1890
- An Age of Extremes, 1880-1917 (also used in A History of US: 1900 – Present)
Books may be available at your local library, or can be purchased online.