Lightning Literature: Mid-Late 19th Century American Literature from Hewitt Homeschooling, adapted to fit the needs of modern gifted learners. This is semester-long high school course. Weekly webinars are 50 minutes long. Recordings are available for students who must miss a session.
- Sound in poetry
- Regionalism and realism
- Local color
- Realism and naturalism
- Figurative language
- Point of view
Learning activities include regular writing to communicate ideas via the discussion forum, videos and multimedia materials to support learning, use of web 2.0 tools to illustrate new concepts, and weekly participation in live webinars.
◦ Lightning Lit Mid-Late 19th Century American Literature Student Guide by Elizabeth Kamath
◦ Uncle Tom’s Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe
◦ Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
◦ The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane
◦ The Call of the Wild by Jack London
◦ Selected poetry and short stories